Webmaster Tools

Friday, October 31, 2008

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia



I started making this Xbox 360 arcade stick well before Ecclesia came out and wanted to finish it before Halloween. I've been a fan of Castlevania since the NES game, and just liked the art basically and the main character Shanoa... and that sexy woman who is known as a "Villager"... who I placed on the bottom along with Dracula. I suppose the Xbox 360 controller has nothing to do with a DS game, but I wanted to make a "Halloween" type stick and this fit the bill. I used some of the expensive quilted maple I had left over from the Ivy stick and stained it black this time instead of purple.

Click here to read more...
I wanted to make an arcade stick with an illuminated joystick, I had often made ones with buttons lit up but never the joystick top. The Sanwa JLF joystick's shaft was drilled through hollow and I used a small 3mm red led with a 150ohm resistor powered by the Xbox controller's 5volt line. The "bubbletop" joystick is an orange translucent Sanwa LB39 and the red led gives it a nice deep orange glow when lit. I decided to make the stick all black and gray except for the character art and orange... because well it's Halloween-like and I noticed in some of the art Shanoa's weapon glows orange and there's this whole orange and dark blue thing going on with her in a lot of the art... and circles. I had no idea what the glyph system was in the new Castlevania but I knew it had to do with some magic circle type things. So I used "Arcane Circles" brushes by *redheadstock on deviantArt and placed these graphics inside the clear button plungers.



I'm pretty psyched how it came out, I can play Castle Crashers, Symphony of the Night and most fighters with it now, but I really hope Konami would create a brand new, 100+ hour Castlevania for Xbox Live, WiiWare, and PS3 Network. I'd design the whole thing even, for free! Yeah thats it.